Get into the driver’s seat and take your camera out of auto. We will explore how your camera works, and how to create well exposed, sharp images.
You will learn about aperture, shutter speed, ISO, and how these settings interact as exposure triangle. Other topics include depth of field, camera modes, focus modes, white balance, the histogram, RAW vs JPEG and many other basics required to get you started on your photographic journey.
Our exposure triangle game and various group exercises will help you to connect the dots.
Things you will be taking home:
- A deep understanding of how to take control of exposure and focus
- A ten page handout
- Our Hero Cheat-Sheet
- A $50 discount towards a Hero Holiday
- Membership to a student-exclusive Facebook group, the Hero Hangout. Share your progress with others and get constructive feedback.
- A smile
We believe that a productive learning environment requires small group sizes. All our workshops are limited to ten students. This allows us to pay more attention to individual needs.
Please note that only one instructor might present if the number of participants for this workshops is low.
- A camera with a viewfinder that allows manual control of settings (DSRL, Mirrorless)
- Enough battery power to get you through the day
- A sufficiently sized memory card
Please arrange your own transportation. We are happy to help you arrange carpooling with other students.
A walk in the park. Literally!
Clothing & Extras
We will be moving in tame outdoor environments like parks. Please bring clothing appropriate to keep you warm and dry according to the season your workshop is taking place in. The most important items are:
- Warm layers
- A rain jacket
- Comfy footwear
- Food & water
- Personal medication
You will receive further information with your info package.
We want you to have an enjoyable workshop and to return home in good health. To ensure your safety, and the safety of others, we require you to disclose all relevant health conditions when you book the workshop.
At the beginning of the workshop we give a health and safety induction and warn you about environmental hazards. Both Rob and Dennis hold current first aid certificates and carry a first aid kit and emergency blankets.
It is your responsibility to carry personal medication required for your safety and well-being.
Please notify us immediately if you have any concerns about environmental hazards, your personal level of fitness or if you start to feel unwell at any time during the workshop.
Please note that to attend the workshop you will need to sign a waiver at the beginning of the workshop. In this form you confirm that:
- You received a health & safety induction about environmental hazards.
- You have disclosed any medical conditions that could impact your safety, or the safety of other participants at the time of booking.
- You are responsible for insurance of your personal items.
- You will carry all gear, clothing and personal items as required for the workshop.
- You waive certain legal rights.
The waiver form can be found here. We will also send you a copy with your info package.