Join us for an introduction into landscape photography. You will learn how to be in the right place at the right time, using the right equipment.
We will discuss the elements that make up a good landscape photograph, before diving into the details of planning and execution. Our proven shooting process will help you maximise your output.
Most of our time will be spent exploring the creative side of landscape photography. Topics include subject, composition, foreground, rule of thirds, symmetry, perspective, frames, separation, and much more.
Shooting technique, gear, safety and maintenance are other topics we will be exploring in detail.
Things you will be taking home:
- A well-founded understanding of how to plan, compose and shoot landscapes
- Your personal welcome package
- A handout
- Our Hero Cheat-Sheet
- A $50 discount towards a Hero Holiday
- Membership to a student-exclusive Facebook group, the Hero Hangout. Share your progress with others and get constructive feedback.
- A smile
We believe that a productive learning environment requires small group sizes. All our workshops are limited to ten students. This allows us to pay more attention to individual needs.
Please note that only one instructor might present if the number of participants for this workshops is low.
- A camera with a viewfinder that allows manual control of settings (DSRL, Mirrorless)
- Enough battery power to get you through the day
- A sufficiently sized memory card
- A sturdy, full-height tripod
- A torch (ideally a head-torch)
Useful, but not essential:
- A wired or wireless remote
Please arrange your own transportation. We are happy to help you arrange car-pooling with other students.
We designed this workshop for photographers who are comfortable with using their cameras in manual mode. If you are not familiar with the exposure triangle and how aperture, shutter speed and ISO interact, we are happy to get you up to speed with our Essentials workshop. Further information here.
A basic level of fitness and comfort when moving on uneven terrain is required for this workshop. Expect to walk for around half an hour from the car park to our location on marked tracks across uneven terrain. There is a chance this will be required several times during the day. Please note that you will have to carry all your own camera gear, clothing, snacks and drinks.
Clothing & Extras
We will be moving in an exposed outdoor environment, where the weather is unpredictable even with a good forecast. Good clothing for all eventualities is essential. Your safety is of great importance to us. You should bring:
- Sturdy footwear
- Outdoor compatible clothing
- Warm layers
- Waterproof clothing (at least a jacket)
- Hat for sun protection
- Beanie & gloves (you will need them!)
- Snacks & water
- Personal medication
- A sufficiently sized backpack to carry all your camera gear, clothing and extras
You will receive further information with your info package.
We want you to have an enjoyable workshop and to return home in good health. To ensure your safety, and the safety of others, we require you to disclose all relevant health conditions when you book the workshop.
At the beginning of the workshop we give a health and safety induction and warn you about environmental hazards. Both Rob and Dennis hold current first aid certificates and carry a first aid kit and emergency blankets.
It is your responsibility to carry personal medication required for your safety and well-being.
Please notify us immediately if you have any concerns about environmental hazards, your personal level of fitness or if you start to feel unwell at any time during the workshop.
Please note that to attend the workshop you will need to sign a waiver at the beginning of the workshop. In this form you confirm that:
- You received a health & safety induction about environmental hazards.
- You have disclosed any medical conditions that could impact your safety, or the safety of other participants at the time of booking.
- You are responsible for insurance of your personal items.
- You will carry all gear, clothing and personal items as required for the workshop.
- You waive certain legal rights.
The waiver form can be found here. We will also send you a copy with your info package.