The perpetual ebb and flow of water is what brings seascapes to life. Explore with us how motion and reflections can be used to craft fascinating images.
You will learn how to time your photography with tides, sunrises and sunsets. Composition is particularly challenging when your subject is in motion. Learn to control motion through your shutter speed, and how to balance your camera settings with ambient light by using filters.
Whether it is dynamic shots of waves crashing on rocks, or a dreamy long exposure look, we will send you home with the knowledge to shoot in a wide range of photographic styles.
Things you will be taking home:
- A well-founded understanding of how to shoot seascapes and control motion
- A handout
- Our Hero Cheat-Sheet
- A $50 discount towards a Hero Holiday
- Membership to a student-exclusive Facebook group, the Hero Hangout. Share your progress with others and get constructive feedback.
- A smile
We believe that a productive learning environment requires small group sizes. All our workshops are limited to ten students. This allows us to pay more attention to individual needs.
Please note that only one instructor might present if the number of participants for this workshops is low.
- A camera with a viewfinder that allows manual control of settings (DSRL, Mirrorless)
- Enough battery power to get you through the day
- A sufficiently sized memory card
- A sturdy, full-height tripod
- A torch (ideally a head-torch)
- A basic set of filters (we will provide you with details)
Useful, but not essential:
- A wired or wireless remote
While we do not require certain lenses, we recommend you bring a wide-angle lens to get the most out of this workshop. Please feel free to contact Rob and Dennis for advice.
Please arrange your own transportation. We are happy to help you arrange carpooling with other students.
We designed this workshop for photographers who are comfortable with using their cameras in manual mode. If you are not familiar with the exposure triangle and how aperture, shutter speed and ISO interact, we are happy to get you up to speed with our Hero Essentials workshop. Further information here.
While it is not a prerequisite, a basic understanding of composition in landscape photography is of advantage when attending this course. Our Hero Landscapes workshop will get you up to speed. More details here.
A basic level of fitness and comfort when moving on uneven terrain is required for this workshop. Locations are never far from the car park, but you will be moving across sand and wet, slippery rocks.
Please note that you will have to carry all your own camera gear, clothing, snacks and drinks.
Clothing & Extras
We will be moving in an exposed outdoor environment. Good clothing for all eventualities is essential. Expect to get wet!
Your safety is of great importance to us. You should bring:
- Sturdy footwear than can get wet. Bonus points for gum boots or waders
- Warm layers
- Waterproof clothing (at least a jacket)
- Hat for sun protection
- Beanie & gloves
- Snacks & water
- Personal medication
- A sufficiently sized backpack to carry all your camera gear, clothing and extras
You will receive further information with your info package.
We want you to have an enjoyable workshop and to return home in good health. To ensure your safety, and the safety of others, we require you to disclose all relevant health conditions when you book the workshop.
At the beginning of the workshop we give a health and safety induction and warn you about environmental hazards. Both Rob and Dennis hold current first aid certificates and carry a first aid kit and emergency blankets.
It is your responsibility to carry personal medication required for your safety and well-being.
Please notify us immediately if you have any concerns about environmental hazards, your personal level of fitness or if you start to feel unwell at any time during the workshop.
Please note that to attend the workshop you will need to sign a waiver at the beginning of the workshop. In this form you confirm that:
- You received a health & safety induction about environmental hazards.
- You have disclosed any medical conditions that could impact your safety, or the safety of other participants at the time of booking.
- You are responsible for insurance of your personal items.
- You will carry all gear, clothing and personal items as required for the workshop.
- You waive certain legal rights.
The waiver form can be found here. We will also send you a copy with your info package.